Friday, February 23, 2007

Day 3 of PURPOSE – What drives your life?

Everyone's life is driven by something. For some of us, it's money? others, it's fame? still others, perhaps it's fear that gets us up each morning. When I reflect on this question, I can't help but think of the great leaders whose examples have paved the way for all of us.

In an article published in Fortune in July, 2003, Jim Collins recognized the 10 greatest CEO's. Leading the way was David Packard. In 1949, 37-year-old Packard attended a meeting of business leaders. Fidgeting while they discussed how to squeeze more profit from their companies, he was finally unable to contain himself. "A company has a greater responsibility than making money for its stockholders," he asserted. "We have a responsibility to our employees to recognize their dignity as human beings," Packard said, extolling his belief that those who help create wealth have a moral right to share in that wealth. He was the first to share equity and profits with his employees and despite donating to Stanford University an amount comparable to the value of Jane and Leland Stanford's original endowment; he never allowed his name to appear on any of its buildings while he was alive.

The spirit of David Packard lives on, far beyond the walls of the company he build. Empowering others to surpass his accomplishments was his driving ambition each and every day. How about you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the question is, how do you find what drives you?

Rory Cambra said...

For me it's being the best that I can be from the inside out and having the right mindset. I want to attract better relationships into my life.

Anonymous said...

What Drives us is the question? When I was watching Oprah the other day someone in the audience stood up and said, 'How do we become a Bill Gates or an Oprah Winfrey? And her response was .....answer the question of 'Who can you serve and How do you serve? I would say that there is a part left out there. First you have to answer is what makes you happy? You cannot serve others well unless you are first happy with what you are serving and how you are seving? Far too many people before us have served out of obligation and have served their lives in misery. So we have to begin to answer.....What makes us happy and then how can that make other people happy. If it doesnt make other people happy then very soon we will be happy by ourseklves and thn we wont be happy anymore because we are all alone. So what drives me to get up in the morning is FAME? mY fAME UNDUBTEDLY WILL LEAD TO SERVING OTHER PEOPLE. wHAT MAKE ME HAPPY IS DISCOVERING MY PURPOSE, DISCOVERING WHO i AM AND THEN TEACHING OTHERS. bECAUSE ITS NO FUN IF YOU CANT SHARE IT AND TEACH OTHERS ABOUT IT. sO WHEN i DISCOVERED THAT MY PURPOSE IS TO EXPRESS MY VITALITY, PASSSION, AND POWER AND now SINCE I know that I want to teach others how to discover that. And I can teach them by helping them Dare something worthy in the face of great risk, to be distinct and innovative personally, and professionally, and to chase their dreams. And the reason I can teach this is because I am doing this and since I am doing it and it makes me happy, I can than SERVE others with joy because I am joyful doing it. You cannot serve others without finding joy doing it. If you do serve others with out joy, it is simply called waiting on people and that is no fun unless of course you enjoy that. So yes, experts on OPRAH, you were right, but don't forget the crucial points that it must simultaneously bring joy to your life while you are serving. That i the secret, at least from my perspective.