Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Day 13 of PURPOSE – Better than who?

I had a very stimulating conversation, with a potential iEvolution member, today in which we discussed her critical objectives for the reminder of the year. As I was listening, it was clear to me that her focus was on outperforming her competition. As I probed a bit, I learned that she felt inferior to some of the leading advisors in the community because of their creativity and experience. Having spend 21 years in corporate America, I realize that our competitors certainly play a role in our business. But, do we react too quickly?
I once heard investment great, Nick Murray say that, "You're compete only with yourself." That has always hit home with me. One of the more damaging fallacies that each of us can fall in to is comparing ourselves with others, when we should be compared, only to ourselves. How far we've come and how far we have left to go. We should draw inspiration from those we admire; perhaps our greatest competitors are our greatest teachers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't ever compare myself to other people. There are certain things I am passionate about and other things that I am not. I suppose if I were to compare myself to other areas of Life that I wasn't passionate about, I'd feel pretty crappy. However, I choose to follow what Im passionate about and I know that I will always be the best at it. Not the best at it compared to other people, but the best at it for me. As long as I'm focused on What I love I have no need to compare because life will always be abundant for me. But if I am focused in areas that aren't so great for me than I will feel a sense of lack and I will feel as if I am always competing for aa lack of resources and talent in the world.People feel a sense of lack in their life because they are focused on all the things that they don't have rather than focusing on all the things they should be grateful for. We all go through it, but what we have to realize is that we have the Freedom to choose the way we think. Once we undertand that the world opens up and competition is irrelevant. My passion and my viion is that I will be the most influential person in the world at helping other people impact personal change in their lives by bhelping them find the confidence and faith to chase their dreams. I know this is what I can be the best in the world at. Like Jim Collins says from 'Good to Great'. Discover what your most passionate about, discover what you can be the best in the world at, and then figure out what drives your economic engine. Comparisons are a waste of time becaue hot only exists if you compare it to cold. There really is no such thing.