Thursday, March 15, 2007

Day 9 of PURPOSE – We are all Teachers

One of the greatest insights that I gained from our call yesterday and certainly from our most recent iE live retreat, is that we're all teachers. We may be good teachers or bad ones, but in the end we are all teachers of something. Everyday, our actions and behaviors speak volumes for who we are and what we stand for. This afternoon, as I was stopped at a light, a homeless person approached me; he stopped at my window, stared at my, and didn't say a word for about 15 seconds. As I handed him money and a cold bottle of water; he instantly smiled, whispered "God won't forget you", and slowly walked away.
For that brief moment, I had this enormous sense of appreciation that I had lived out my purpose for the day. I live for the opportunity where I can help someone; teaching to me involves more than unpacking stories or sharing insights; we teach when we help one another love our families, make wise decisions, stay out of debt and pass on the gifts that we have so fortunate to receive. Who did you teach today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wonder about one thing – can I teach some one? My motive behind helping some one is not to seek appreciation or applauds but to gain a self satisfaction that ‘I helped some one’. I live in constant state of hesitation – will my act of help be taken in good spirits and not as an act of know-it-all? Is it important to think on these lines before we extend our help?

Unknown said...

Meetu, I suggest that you listen to your heart. The choice to lend a hand or share a piece of wisdom is what we were put on this earth to do. It would be safe to say that most of us would like to learn something that might get us ahead in life. It's pretty easy to spot a learner; whenever you encounter someone with a curious mind, you have someone who will be forever thankful for the advice that you give.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Moe. Very thought provoking, indeed. I will bring this in to practice.

Anonymous said...

I've realized that I'm a better teacher of life experiences than I am of any particular trade. Once I've experienced something I have an incredible passion and charisma to pass on that learning experience. Ask me to be the wisest guy in Finance and I'll study real hard and get you the answers, ask me to learn about histpry and I'll memorize a book and articulate it very well, but ask me to talk about my life experiences and my authenticity will reach across the table and open others up to the notion that Daring something worthy is what lifes all about.