Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Day 18 of PURPOSE – Why not?

I was at Starbucks this morning, in between meetings, and observed a fascinating encounter. Setting across from me was a middle aged Korean man with his mentor preparing, for what appears to be a job interview. Although, the Korean gentleman spoke very broken English, his smile and enthusiasm spoke volumes. As his mentor prepared him for what's to come, he looked at him and said "I can be whatever I want, why not?" I couldn't help but walk up to him and wish him well.

As we chatted for a moment, he mentioned to me that he wanted to build the next Startbucks. His goal was to work for a coffee house, learn the tricks of the trade and ultimately put his name on the door. Not only was I inspired by his passion, I was reminded of my favorite quote by George Bernard Shaw - "Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" Each one of us needs something to believe in, something to make our life meaningful. obviously, that Korean gentleman believes the world needs another Starbucks - Why Not?

2 comments:

Rory Cambra said...

"Thanks, I needed that!"

help with dissertation writing said...

Very inspiring, thanx. I only should thank you for yet another superb article.