Thursday, April 12, 2007

Day 29 of PURPOSE – Preserve The Core

I had a really inspiring conversation this afternoon discussing the topic of vision. I've always found this topic very intriguing because it is probably one of the least understood-yet most critical-concepts for building any great business. This is one topic that I can't discuss without referring to the great management thinker, Jim Collins. Not only did Jim teach us to embrace Big Hairy Audacious Goals, more importantly, he introduced us to the "preserve the core/stimulate progress" concept.

"The most enduring and successful corporations distinguish their timeless core values and enduring core purpose {which should never change} - from their operating practices and business strategies {which should be changing constantly in response to a changing world}. In truly great companies, change is a constant, but not the only constant. They understand the difference between what should never change and what should be open for change, between what is truly sacred and what is not. And by being clear about what should never change, they are better able to stimulate and progress in everything else."

Do you know what is core, and what is not?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great thought. I immediately started relating to our community – iEvolution, which is an organization as well. So if I ask each one of us including myself to list
a) What you think is the Purpose of our Community
AND
b) What is our CORE or CORE VALUES
Then what will each one of you say? I urge all to come here and share whatever comes to their mind. Let me begin by writing :

PURPOSE –
>>To make network of individuals
CORE –
>>Open communication with all

I know many of us will have more than one point to share, please go ahead and share as many points as you can, Let the world know who and what we are.

Thanks
Meetu Singhal

Anonymous said...

Rumi says, "Sell your cleverness and buy Bewilderment"

I love that quote...

Anonymous said...

Yes Ted it is an interesting quote. Is this the sufi poet Rumi you are talking about? At times I can exactly relate to such a situation. And is this quote any way related to my comment above?

Anonymous said...

I buy bewilderment in the form of a 12 pack. But seriously... what is core to me is having a positive role in the world. We have all heard some variation of the do unto others as you wish for them do unto you saying. It just comes down to treating everyone in this world with the respect and compassion that they deserve. This core belief serves as a strong foundation for business and all of society.